19 April 2017

War Memorial

Cambria County War Memorial Arena
Location: Johnstown, PA
Opened: 1950
Seating Capacity: 4001

The next arena I will be covering in my blog is the Cambria County War Memorial Arena, which is home to the Johnstown Tomahawks of the North American Hockey League.

The Johnstown Tomahawks were one of my favorite teams to play against during my time in the NAHL. It would
always be a chippy and physical game when we would play them, which is my style of hockey. The Tomahawks had an exuberant fan base and they were always extremely fired up. They nearly filled the arena every time we played there. I feed off of the spirit of a highly-energized crowd. Although the arena seats over 4000 fans, it is not very
spacious so the fans are packed tightly to the ice rink.

The arena is styled after professional arenas and that it has a concourse that wraps around the rink. They have multiple concession stands that sell food, drinks, and Tomahawks' apparel. Our locker room was located on the opposite side of the concourse as the arena so the arena staff would have to rope off the fans as we would walk towards the ice.

The ice was the biggest downfall of this arena. For whatever reason, the ice was very sticky which slowed the game down immensely. Because the arena itself was so small, it made the ice surface feel narrow which countered the slow ice. The boards were lively which also helped against the slow ice surface. The boards sat really high which made it difficult to jump over them and onto the ice. Even through the door, there was still a foot drop onto the ice.

I was not a fan of the travel that our team had to endure to get to Johnstown, PA. We had an 11-hour bus ride through the middle of nothing but corn fields, forests, and mountains. That was the nightmare of junior hockey; the long road trips. I dreaded going on these grueling trips but Johnstown's arena made the trek worth while.

One interesting fact about the arena is that it is the same arena that they filmed the movie Slap Shot in. Whether you are a hockey fan or not, I would recommend watching it. The Hanson Brothers will have you on laughing throughout the whole film. I actually met one of the Hanson brothers on my first visit to
Johnstown which was awesome.

In 2015, the arena also won the Kraft Hockeyville USA contest, which was a $150,000 award to undergo renovations for the rink. It also hosted an NHL preseason game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Tampa Bay Lightning, which as a cool event for a junior hockey arena.

Overall, Johntown's arena is actually much better than some of the NCAA arenas that I covered in earlier posts. It's old age and long history provide it with so tons of character. I would love to play in that arena again because I enjoyed the many times that previously played there.

Thank you for your continued support of my blog. Please feel free to share with your friends and family!

-  Joshua Lammon

No comments:

Post a Comment