30 March 2017

The "M" Den

Yost Ice Arena

Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Opened: 1923
Seating Capacity: 5800

The next ice arena I will be reflecting on in my blog is Yost Ice Arena, which is home to the University of Michigan Wolverines ice hockey team.

I was fortunate enough to play two Division 1 hockey games against the University of Michigan during my freshman year at Mercyhurst. It was a dream come true for me to play a college hockey game at Yost arena because I grew up watching the Wolverines play. I've been to Yost countless times. I've helped host a youth 3 on 3 tournament there and I actually got to participate in a shootout during the intermission of a Michigan hockey game. I remember scoring a goal in the shootout and the crowd went wild; that is when I knew I wanted to play college hockey. It was won of the coolest feelings in the world scoring that shootout goal as a little kid.

We played the University of Michigan in October, which is relatively early in the season. My coaches were kind enough to put me in the starting lineup on Friday night, which is an honor being a starting freshman. It was a surreal feeling standing on the goal-line and hearing "At center, a freshman from Jackson, MI, number 27, Joshua Lammon." The skate to blue-line and hearing my friends and family cheer was an unforgettable feeling that I will surely never forget. I remember watching the starting lineups get announced as a child and dreaming about hearing my name be called.

Yost was packed both games that we played that weekend, which was surprising because we are just a small university that doesn't play U of M too often. It was definitely the biggest crowd that I had played in front of at the time. I would estimate that there were at least 4000-4500 people in attendance. I was not nervous playing in front of that many fans; however, I felt more excited and adrenalized than ever.

Yost is a vintage barn and is approaching its 100-year anniversary in 2023. It is an old brick building that provides a ton of character. The seating, music and lighting systems were all renovated in 2012 to modernize the arena. Maize and blue murals and artwork is plastered along the walls of the building. It is also humbling to see pictures of the famous alumni who played for the prestigious program. Playing against Red Berenson was an awesome experience. He has been the head coach for Michigan for 32 years; well longer than I have been alive.

To top off the weekend, I was able to score a goal against the University of Michigan in front of a full house. That was a dreamlike experience. My buddy, Lester Lancaster, who I have played with for the past five seasons, and I had a two on one line rush and I passed him the puck at the top of the circles and he drove the net. I was able to bury the rebound by basically pushing the goalie into the net. It wasn't pretty, but hey, they don't ask how, they just ask how many. He is from Michigan as well so it was an awesome feeling to be able to connect for a goal together.

Obviously, if you couldn't tell, playing against the University of Michigan at Yost Ice Arena has been the most memorable experience of my college career. It had an unbelievable time playing against one of the most recognized school's in the country for college hockey. Without a doubt, I would love to play against Michigan again.

Go blue...and green for the Lakers of course.

Thank you for your continued support of my blog. Please feel free to share with your friends and family!

- Joshua






1 comment: