26 March 2017

Buckeye State

Value City Arena
Photo Credit: Ric Kruszynski

Location: Columbus, Ohio
Opened: 1998
Seating Capacity: 17500

The next arena I will be viewing is the Value City Arena, which is home to the Ohio State Buckeyes men's ice hockey team and men's and women's basketball teams.

We played the Buckeyes at Value City Arena during my freshman year of college. It was the second Big Ten team I played against, as we played Michigan earlier during that year. It's always exciting for me to play Big Ten teams because I grew up watching them play in the CCHA league growing up. Ohio State had always been a rival to the Michigan Wolverines, who was a team I grew up idolizing.

As I mentioned earlier, the arena also serves as a basketball court for Ohio State, so there is a ton of seating. By ton, I mean 17,500 seats. I think it goes without saying that many of these seats were empty during our game. I believe the attendance sheet said roughly 2000 fans attended the game. In most arenas, this would be a good turnout, but not for an arena that holds nearly nine times that amount. We did, however, play the Buckeyes on their fall break so there were not a lot of students on campus which hurt the attendance.

Like the Webster Bank Arena in Connecticut, the ice surface seems much larger in the Value City Arena compared to many smaller venues. Again, the rink measurements meet NHL regulations, it is simply your mind playing tricks on you. The ice was in great condition as the Big Ten schools have a lot of funding to maintain the ice surface. The boards and glass were also the professional style. The are generally more forgiving and the puck reacts super fast off of them. Value City Arena also has a large jumbo-tron hanging over its center ice. Most of the arenas in college hockey have some sort of digital screen, and like I have said throughout my blog, I believe it is a welcoming feature by the fans and players.

It was an awesome experience to play the Ohio State Buckeyes in their own arena. But what was even better, is that we beat them in it. We won 2-1 on Friday night to stun the Buckeyes. Taking down a Big Ten team was a big moral booster for our us. Although we split the weekend with them, I believe it gave us a spark for the rest of the season and we proved to ourselves that we can compete with any team in the nation.

I really enjoyed playing at Ohio State and I would not be opposed to play there again during my next  two years of college hockey. Hopefully there would be a more impressive attendance next time and that we can come away with two wins instead of one.

Thank you for your continued support of my blog. Please feel free to share with your friends and family!

- Joshua Lammon
Photo Credit: Ric Kruszynski

Photo Credit: Ric Kruszynski

Photo Credit: Ric Kruszynski

No comments:

Post a Comment